Far too many people in our nation, state, and communities are without adequate health insurance. In Georgia, we have over 1.8 million people without health insurance, many of which are veterans and children. I will continue to sponsor and support legislation that will:
- Promote preventive medicine and healthy life styles.
- Provide universal access to healthcare for all Georgia’s children.
- Provide prescription drugs at lower prices for Georgians, especially our elderly.
- Encourage greater participation from the non-profit and faith-based community to assist in the healthcare needs of Georgians through education and outreach.
Senator Hardie Davis believes that we must improve education so we can have workers with the skills needed for the jobs of today and tomorrow
The key to expanding opportunity is to provide every child with an excellent education. I have worked tirelessly to meet our responsibilities to Georgia’s children by ensuring that our schools have the resources they need to help our kids meet high standards. We must also dedicate ourselves to assuring that our educational system is producing the world’s most capable students. I have also worked with teachers and the organizations that represent them to make sure they succeed as teachers while taking care of their own families. We will continue to work to:
- Provide an educational system that is accountable and results oriented, and fully fund all standard base initiatives.
- While we demand more of our students, teachers, and schools, we must make sure that they have the resources they need to succeed (i.e. classroom resources, better pay, updated equipment).
- Hold this state accountable to providing our children with the best technology in the classroom and skilled professionals to train students on that technology.
Economic Growth and Development
While thousands of Georgians remain out of work, rebuilding our economy is also one of my top priorities. We’ve come a long way in the last several years, but not far enough. Our economic problems did not materialize overnight, and they will not be fixed overnight. I have worked to rebuild the foundations of our prosperity, namely the transportation, manufacturing and energy infrastructure.
As your Senator I have championed legislation that improves our state’s competitiveness, reduced unemployment and brought jobs back to Georgia. My committee assignments on Senate Finance, Economic Development and Transportation have given me the opportunity to help craft good public policies that:
- Improve education so we can have workers with the skills needed for the jobs of today and tomorrow.
- Promote recruitment of companies from the Life Sciences Industry to Georgia and the 22nd Senate District.
- Promote economic growth and quality commercial development throughout Augusta, with an emphasis on blighted and underutilized areas.